History

History: –

History states that Valor was named after the town of Visakha in the name of God. It was part of the Kalinga Empire in the reign of Ashoka in 260 BC. It was subsequently owned by the Vangi kings of the Andhra region. The region was later ruled by the Pallavas, the Cholas and the kings of the Ganges. It was part of the Vijayanagar Empire in the 15th century.

Next it is known as a good tourist destination. The region is surrounded by lakes, the hilly terrain of the cool sea, and the valleys. The district boasts of many tourist attractions and the culture and civilization of the region confirms the richness of India.

Regional: –

Located in the northeastern part of the state of Andhra Pradesh, India lies between the latitudes of 170–15 ’and 180-32’ in the north, between the latitudes of 180–54 and 830-30 ’east. It is bordered on the north by the state of Orissa, the Vijayanagaram district on the south, the East Godavari district on the south, Orissa on the west and the Bay of Bengal on the east.

HISTORICAL ASPECTS AND ETYMOLOGY

Inscriptions indicate that the District was originally a part of Kalinga Kingdom subsequently conquered by the Eastern Chalukyas in the 7th Century, A.D. who ruled over it with their Head Quarters at Vengi. This District was also under the occupation of various rulers such as the Reddy Rajahs of Kondaveedu, the Gajapathis of Orissa, the Nawabs of Golkonda and the Moghal Emperor Aurangazeb through a Subedar. This territory passed on to
French occupation in view of succession dispute among Andhra Kings and finally it came under the British Reign. There were no geographical grafting till 1936 in which year, consequent on the formation of Orissa State the Taluks namely Bissiom, Cuttack,Jayapore, Koraput, Malkanagiri, Naurangapur, Pottangi and Rayagada in their entirety and parts of Gunpur, Paduva and Parvathipur Taluks were transferred to Orissa State. The
Visakhapatnam District was reconstituted with the remaining area and residuary portions of Ganjam District namely Sompeta, Tekkali and Srikakulam Taluks in entirety and portion of Parlakimidi,Ichchapuram, Berahmpur retained in Madras presidency. With the passage of time, the reconstituted District was found administratively unwieldy and therefore it was bifurcated into Srikakulam and Visakhapatnam districts in the year 1950. The residuary district of Visakhapatnam was further bifurcated and the Taluks of Vizianagaram, Gajapathinagaram, Srungavarapukota and portion of Bheemunipatnam Taluk were transferred to the newly created Vizianagaram District in the year 1979. Coming to etymology of the name Visakhapatnam, tradition has it that some centuries ago a King of Andhra Dynasty encamped on the site of the present Head Quarters Town of Visakhapatnam on his pilgrimage to Banaras and being pleased with the place, had built a shrine in honor of his family deity called Visakeswara to the South of the Lawson’s Bay from which the district has derived its name as Visakheswarapuram which subsequently changed to Visakhapatnam. The encroachment of waves and currents of the sea supposed to have swept away the shrine into off shore area.